Yaroslavl

Yaroslavl

The almost thousand year history of Yaroslavl, one of the most beautiful towns of Middle Russia,
contains legends, facts and monuments, which give pictures of different cultures that developed and reached their peak on the banks of the Upper Volga. 1 Around the menacing walls of the monastery – it was once rich and influential and during the Time of Troubles for a short time became the political centre of Russia – there are many festive churches. In their bright colours and splendid decoration there is more of the Joie de vivre and active energy of a big city than of the Orthodox spirit of asceza. The seventeenth century experienced rapid development of commerce and trades. Following a chain of inside and outside conflicts, the Muscovite state for a while succeeded in bringing together the gentry, church and trading class, finding its own way to economic prosperity. This way, however, was later abandoned by Peter the Great, who made the country move in a different direction.  Nevertheless, the seventeenth century proved to be the golden age of Yaroslavl, manifesting itself in the town’s appaerance in all diversity.
28 The Church of Elijah the Prophet, now standing in the centre of Soviet square, is another monument of early trading quarter architecture. It was commissioned in 1647-1650 by wel-known in the seventeenth century fur buyers, Anikei and Niphantei Skripins, whose influence reached the couths of the tsar and patriarch. Originally it was surrounded by a country estate at the intersection of the main streets of the Earthen Town. Together with the stone fence, dwelling houses and pantries of the Skripins it made a single complex. Following reconstruction in Yaroslavl carried out in compliance with the 1778 plan, the location of the magnificent church was in the centre of the administrative square now and became one of the town’s architectural dominants. The church combines the austere simplicity of Old Russian town cathedrals and the pectoral asymmetrical but strictly balanced spatial composition. The reserver facades of the main chapel well contrast with the festive looks of the side-chapels, thotiered galleries and porches. The church walls, plane and even menacing from the outside, are covered with beautiful and cheerful murals on the inside. They were painted in 1680 by fifteen mural painters under the tutelage of the renowned masters 27 from Kostroma. Gury Nikitin and Sila Savin. The walls are covered with six rows of frescos: the lower tier is ornamental, while the rest five rows illustrate the lives of the prophets, Gospel stories, deeds of the apostles and the likewise. Unlike the St.Nicholas Church of Nedeya with its separately placed icons, frescoes here are not separated from one another and the story smoothly develops, gradually taking visitors’eyes all around the church. The entourage and details of the background are no less significant than Bible legends, which either add to them pictures from Russian everyday life or just borrow the exotic settings of foreign art. The painted perspective portals, the tiled frieze of the gallery and the carved and gilded eighteenth century icon stand, including icons from the local (lower) tier made between the 1670s and 1680s, are all of the highest quality. Such are the representations of Elijah the Prophet and John the Baptist free both in composition and colour, the Holy Sign with its fine miniature painting, etc.
4336
Jaroslavl is een stad in het oosten van Europees Rusland aan de rivier de Wolga, op ongeveer 250 kilometer ten noordoosten van Moskou. Het historisch centrum van de stad, rond de samenvloeiing van de Wolga en de Kotorosl, staat op de UNESCO Werelderfgoedlijst. De stad is onderdeel van de Gouden Ring van Rusland.
De huidige stad ligt op 7 kilometer ten noordoosten van de vroegere Vikingplaats Timerjovo uit de 8e of 9e eeuw. Voor de komst van de Slaven woonden op de plaats van het huidige Jaroslavl sprekers van Finoegrische talen. Jaroslavl zou volgens oude bronnen zijn gesticht in 1010 door Jaroslav de Wijze als een steunpunt van het vorstendom Rostov (een rijk dat voor het eerst wordt genoemd in 1071) tegen invallen vanuit het noorden over de Wolga. Volgens een legende stichtte Jaroslav de stad, nadat deze hier persoonlijk een sterke berin zou hebben verslagen. Deze legende leeft voort in het wapen van de stad, waarop een staande beer staat afgebeeld met een hellebaard in haar rechterhand. Ten tijd van het Kievse Rijk was Jaroslavl een van de oostelijkste steden van het rijk. In 1218 werd Jaroslavl de hoofdstad van het onafhankelijke Vorstendom Jaroslavl, dat zich iets eerder van het vorstendom Rostov had afgesplitst. De stad pntwikkelde zich mede daardoor tot een rivierhandelscentrum, waar veel handelaren en handwerkers naar toe trokken en waar in die tijd ook de eerste kerken en kloosters ontstonden. Tijdens de Mongoolse invasie in Rusland, werd de stad verscheidene malen platgebrand. Tijdens de Tataarse invasie van 1238 werd de stad bijna volledig verwoest. De stad werd echter steeds weer opgebouwd en wist haar positie als handelsstad te behouden. In 1463 kwam de stad onder het bestuur van Moskovië te staan.
Categorieën: Landen, Rusland, Yaroslavl | Tags: , | 2 reacties

Blog op WordPress.com.

%d bloggers liken dit: